Table of Contents
There are lots of ways to start earning income from home, and one of them is by becoming a freelancer. This is made a lot easier if you already have a skill. With your skill, you can quickly get started by offering your services on freelance platforms for people to hire you.
Who Is a Freelancer?
A freelancer can best be described as someone who offers his/her professional service to a client for an agreed fee, without any expectation of landing a permanent individual client. Becoming a freelancer can also be regarded as a unique type of self-employment, pretty similar to operating a home business against telecommuting.
Reasons For Becoming A Freelancer
There are several reasons for becoming a freelancer, and some of them include;
- Freelancing affords you the opportunity to generate additional income aside from your daily job. The extra income can help you save for the rainy day or pay off some of your debts.
- Freelancing is easy to start up, especially if you already possess the skill and right equipment needed to do the job.
- With freelancing, you can be your own boss. There is so much flexibility and you can choose to work part-time or at your own convenience.
Although there are lot’s of benefits from becoming a freelancer, there are several downsides to it too. Let’s check out some of them below;
- Building a full-time income from Freelancing can take a lot of time.
- When starting out new as a freelancer, regular work is not guaranteed, and as such your income flow might not be stable.
- As a new freelancer, you will have to prove your worth overtime before landing high paying clients. So, you might have to make do with little sums, far below the worth of work done at the initial stages.
What Type Of Services Can You Offer?
Any type of service that can be provided to a business or an individual client can be offered by a freelancer on a freelance basis. Popular freelance services include;
- Article Writing
- Digital Marketing
- Web Design/Development and lot’s more, the list is endless
Requirements Needed To Get Started
To become a freelancer, you need to possess a unique skill that can be offered to prospective clients. However, being skilled is not the only requirement needed to get started as a freelancer, I’ve listed out several other important things which can be of great help to you. Let’s check them out:
- Before starting out as a freelancer, it’s advisable you draw out a business plan that outlines the type of service which you will provide, determine your marketing strategies as well as your target market.
- A Website that describes who you are and the type of services offered by you. It should also include a portfolio which showcases your previous jobs as well as testimonials to show proof.
- Social media profiles. Social media platforms are a great source for freelancers to land clients and also connect with other professionals. As a freelancer, you should consider creating profiles of social media platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook e.t.c
- A dedicated business phone or cell phone number through which prospective clients can get in touch with you.
- A business card with your contact details boldly displayed on it.
- A menu card showcasing your services and freelance rates.
Where To Find Job Opportunities?
The best place to find freelance jobs is on freelance platforms. These platforms help freelancers offer their services for prospective clients to hire them. Some of the popular freelance platforms where freelancers can find jobs include; Fiverr, UpWork, Toptal, MyExpertHub, PeoplePerHour, Freelancer e.t.c
Aside from these platforms, freelancers can also find freelance jobs within their social networks. This is why it is important to have an active social media presence as a freelancer. Other ways to find freelance jobs include advertising or searching for openings on job listing sites.